Fort Lauderdale Birth Injury Attorney
Helping families affected by preventable birth injuries
Childbirth is the primary reason for hospitalization in the United States. While having a baby should be a time to celebrate, past research1 shows that approximately 157,000 newborns and/or mothers suffer preventable injuries during the birth process. Many of these preventable injuries are the result of medical malpractice and the responsible medical professionals should be held accountable for their errors. If you or your child has suffered a birth-related injury, call Ft. Lauderdale birth injury lawyer Joseph J. LoRusso for help today.
Malpractice that can lead to birth injuries
There are many negligent acts of medical professionals that can lead to birth injuries in either mother or child. Such malpractice may occur before, during, or even after the birth. Some examples include:
- Failing to provide proper prenatal care for the mother
- Failing to identify any conditions of a mother that may affect the child, such as preeclampsia, diabetes, infections, sexually transmitted diseases, and others
- Not foreseeing and preparing for any possible complications during the delivery, such as the umbilical cord around the neck and more
- Not properly monitoring the heart rate and oxygen levels of both mother and child during the labor phase or not promptly reacting to any irregular levels
- Misusing tools such as forceps or a vacuum during the birth that cause injury to the child
- Not taking timely action if a caesarean section is needed due to low oxygen intake of the child
- Failing to control excessive loss of blood of the mother after delivery
- Failing to identify and promptly provide treatment for any medical conditions of the child
These are, of course, only some examples of the mistakes that medical professionals can make during pregnancy, labor, and delivery.
Common types of birth injuries
Though many different injuries can occur during childbirth, the following are some examples of common serious injuries:
- Cerebral palsy2
- Brachial plexus injuries (Erb’s palsy)
- Traumatic brain injury
- Perinatal asphyxia
- Spinal cord damage
All of the above can have serious and long-lasting effects on yours and your child’s lives.
Contact an experienced Ft. Lauderdale birth injury lawyer for a free consultation
At the Law Office of Joseph J. LoRusso, P.A., we understand that a mother suffering an injury during delivery or having an injured child due to birth injuries can be devastating for a family. These injuries can not only be challenging to deal with but also can easily cause severe financial strain on a household. If a medical professional was negligent and caused a birth injury, you deserve to hold that doctor liable for any and all losses you suffered as a result. Cases involving medical malpractice can be complicated and often involve taking on a large hospital or medical center.
South Florida attorney Joseph J. LoRusso has extensive experience assisting clients file successful birth injury claims in Fort Lauderdale and its surrounding areas. Please feel free to fill out our online contact form or call (954) 715-3260 to schedule a free consultation today.