Fort Lauderdale Swimming Pool Accident Attorney
Experienced personal injury lawyer handling drowning cases in Ft. Lauderdale
Swimming pools are everywhere in the Fort Lauderdale area and thousands of people jump into a pool every day to keep cool, stay fit, or simply relax. Unfortunately, while swimming can be enjoyable for individuals of all ages, pools also come with the risk of accidents and injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),1 drowning is the fifth leading cause of fatal unintentional injuries in the United States. An estimated ten people drown each day in the U.S. and the risk is highest for children under the age of four years. In fact, drowning is the number one cause of unintentional death2 for young children.
In addition to fatalities, thousands more people suffer injuries in and around swimming pools. Such injuries may include the following:
- Oxygen deprivation from near-drowning, often resulting in brain damage
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) or other types of head trauma from hitting your head on the bottom or side of the pool
- Lacerations from rough pool edges or surfaces
- TBI, broken bones, sprains, or other injuries from slip and fall accidents on the pool deck
- Injuries from drain suction
- Infection from bacteria in the pool
- Skin irritations or other reactions to toxic chemical levels
Even if a victim survives a pool accident, they will likely require medical treatment and recovery time for their injuries. If you or your child has suffered injury in any type of swimming pool accident, you should not delay in consulting with Fort Lauderdale swimming pool accident lawyer Joseph J. LoRusso, Esq. to discuss how he can help you.
Negligence can cause swimming pool accidents
Sometimes, drownings and other pool accidents occur with no one at fault, however, many accidents happen due to the negligence of the pool owner. Swimming pool owners have the legal duty to keep the premises in reasonably safe condition to avoid injury to visitors. This means owners must regularly inspect and maintain the pool and surrounding areas, as well as ensure all pool safety regulations are followed. The following are some examples of negligence that can lead to serious pool accidents:
- Leaving objects or debris on the pool deck that could cause trips, slips, and falls
- Having rough surfaces inside the pool
- Not posting necessary warning signs or depth markers
- Having a dangerous diving board
- Not having the proper chemical levels in the pool
- Failing to have an adequate pool barrier with a secure gate to keep unattended children out
- Not having drains in accordance with the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act3
Contact a skilled swimming pool accident lawyer to discuss your case today
Anyone who has suffered injuries due to a negligent pool owner or dangerous pool conditions should contact an experienced pool accident attorney at the Law Office of Joseph J. LoRusso, P.A. as soon as possible.
South Florida attorney Joseph J. LoRusso has extensive experience assisting clients file successful swimming pool accident claims in Fort Lauderdale and its surrounding areas. Please feel free to fill out our online contact form or call (954) 715-3260 to schedule a free consultation today.